Spanish 21 Blackjack Rules
If you like the traditional games of blackjack, but want to play a more intense game, Spanish 21 blackjack might be it.Spanish 21 Blackjack is played on a standard blackjack table using two, four, six, or eight decks of cards. Players should note that this game excludes all ten value cards, leaving you with only 12 remaining ten value cards - Jacks, Queens, and Kings.
Top Blackjack Sites Online
- Ignition Casino
- Ignition Casino is on the RTG Network and offers 10+ blackjack games, along with 200+ other casino games.
This increases the dealers house advantage by 2%. All other cards have the same value. The object of the game is still the same as blackjack, in that players need to beat the dealer by getting a hand value closest to 21 without busting.
Since Spanish 21 excludes the 10's the house edge of the game changes drastically. The advantage for this casino is based on the number of decks in play and the dealer options. In some Spanish 21 games, the dealer is able to hit on a soft 17 whereas other versions will require the dealer to stand. Our free Spanish 21 blackjack game above uses the hard 17 rule. Another big difference in Spanish 21 and regular blackjack is the player always wins on 21. There is no push for a blackjack.
Player Rules in Spanish 21
- Hitting, standing and splitting follow the same general rules as regular blackjack.
- Doubling Down is allowed after a player splits and in Spanish 21, players can double down only once on any two cards.
- Players can double down after taking hit cards.
- If a player doubles down, a bet equal to his original wager must be placed.
- Splitting is permitted on up to four hands. This rule applies to Aces as well, allowing players to split their Aces. (Doubling down on split Aces is allowed.)
- Players can choose to late surrender at anytime.
- Players can late surrender after doubling down.
- A player's 21 hand will always beat the dealer's 21 hand.
- Insurance is available in Spanish 21 and pays 2:1 even with the excluded cards. Read below for why this is a bad bet.
Dealer Rules for Spanish 21
- After the dealer has dealt the two initial cards and he shows an Ace or ten-value card, he will then take a second to peek at his hand to check for blackjack. If the dealer has a blackjack, the game ends and the players lose their bets.
- The dealer will stand on a hard 17.
Payouts on Spanish 21 Blackjack
The biggest difference between traditional blackjack and Spanish 21 blackjack is the obvious removal of the ten value cards. Since the 10's are no longer in play, the house advantage changes drastically by giving the dealer a 2% advantage over the player. To compensate the house edge, Spanish 21 offers side bonuses and bets with bigger payoffs than that of Atlantic City blackjack or Vegas Strip. Below are the standard payouts for Spanish 21 including non side bets and the side bets.
- A natural blackjack pays 3:2
- Insurance pays 2:1
- Five card 21 pays 3:2
- Six Card 21 pays 2:1
- Seven or more card 21 pays 3:1
- A 21 consisting of 6-7-8 suited pays 2:1
- A 21 consisting of 6-7-8 mixed suits pays 3:2
- A 21 consisting of 6-7-8 of spades pays 3:1
- A 21 consisting of 7-7-7 mixed suits pays 3:2
- A 21 consisting of 7-7-7 same suit pays 2:1
- A 21 consisting of 7-7-7 of spades pays 3:1
A bonus payout is paid on all hands except for when a player doubled down. Splitting hands qualify for the bonus. If played at a local casino, a super bonus is awarded for bets under $25 at an amount of $1000 or up to $5000 for bets over $25 where a player receives a suited 7-7-7. The other players at the table will receive a side bonus of $50. This super bonus is not paid when hands have been split.
Match the Dealer Bet
Match the Dealer Bet in Spanish 21 is a side wager whereby the player will be betting that the rank of their hand will outrank that of the dealers. If the player's cards outrank the dealer by match and suit a bigger bonus is awarded. The payouts will depend on the number of decks in play, but assuming it's an eight deck game, like the one above the payouts would be 40:1.